Meet Steve Shrader’s BrightMare
This yellow ’99 Mustang GT, nicknamed “BrightMare”, was the car that started it all for the Yellow Mustang Registry back in 2002 when we founded the club (which is now under new ownership but still runs strong). We use this car to test new engine combinations for our business and continually push the power limits on E85 Ethanol. We are currently working with something never before done, and mating a 6r80 auto trans from a 2014 Mustang to be mated with the 4.6L 2v engine. This requires a complete new wiring and PCM setup to control everything and is nearly complete.
We recently sponsored and attended the Mod Nationals 1st annual race in Memphis TN, and had some great success with this car. Running a best of 9.33 at 146 mph in the 1/4, and a 5.98 at 118 in the 1/8, it showed we’re finally getting closer to our goals with this combo.
We recently drove the car to the Mustang Week Battle of the Beach contest in 2016, and was the only 2v competing against some big displacement, big boosted Mustangs. Check out MM&FF magazine for the complete results of that contest.
In the Streetcar Takeover event at zMax Dragway in 2016, we took home the winner’s trophy in the LS vs. Modular class, running 9.70’s on a very conservative tune.
The car competed in 5.0 Mustang Magazine’s King of the Street competition for 2012, running a 9.86 at 146 and wowwing the judges with its street car manners and gobs of torque in the Ride and Drive segment. Read the May 2013 issue of 5.0 Magazine for the full details.
BrightMare made an appearance on Speed Channel’s show Pass Time in ’09. It surprised everyone when the car went 10.57 at 136 mph on drag radials. Click here for the video. That was an old combo with a smaller engine and supercharger.
Engine Built by Shrader Performance
- Horsepower without nitrous: about 850 rwhp SAE
- 1/8 mile: 5.98 at 117 mph
- 1/4 mile: 9.33 at 146
- Shortblock: Shrader 1200XX stroker
- Cubic Inches: 323ci
Top End/Other Engine
- Heads: Trickflow 195 Race heads
- Cams: You didn’t think we would give you the best kept secret, did you?
- Intake: Edelbrock Victor Jr
- Intake Plenum: custom aluminum
- ThrottleBody: OEM 2014 Mustang GT
- Water Pump: Electric
- PCM: 2014 GT paired with stock 99 GT ECU
- Blower: Vortech YSi at 18 psi
- Crank Pulley: Innovators West 10% Overdrive
- Intercooler: custom air-to-air
- Headers: American Racing Headers longtubes
- Mid-pipe: ARH shorty
- Cat-Back: custom cat-back w/Flowmaster mufflers
- Fuel Tank: 03 Cobra tank
- Fuel Pump: Triple E85 Walbro pumps in Fore module
- Fuel Lines: a whole bunch of braided lines and fittings
- Fuel Injectors: ID1300
- Fuel Type: E-85 Ethanol
- SCT X4 with custom tuning by Steve Shrader
- Converter: custom spec Circle D
- Transmission: 6r80 6-speed Auto
- Driveshaft: custom aluminum
- Axles: Moser 31-spline